Causes include previous joint injury, abnormal joint or limb development, obesity and inherited factors. Risk is greater also in those individuals who have jobs that result in high levels of joint stress or in case of deskbound jobs. Osteoarthritis is believed to be caused by mechanical stress on the joints and low-grade inflammatory processes. It develops, as cartilage is lost with eventually the underlying bone becoming affected. As pain may make it difficult to exercise, muscle loss may occur. Various symptoms are experienced by a patient of osteoarthritis;
1. Pain & Stiffness of joints –A typical OA patient feels ache in the joints which may be accompanied by a burning or sharp sensation of pain. In some cases the pain is felt within short intervals of time .Constant pain throughout or pain while one sleeps could also be an indication of the disease. Once a patient experiences pain, just getting up in the morning can be a grueling task. Joints can feel stiff for a brief amount of time thereby restricting movement of the joints. Additionally, sitting up might also feel difficult due to stiffness. As the disease gets worse, one will not be able to bend, flex, or extend the joints. Patients start avoiding the use of these joints out of fear of extreme pain and discomfort.
2. Swelling /Deformity of joints- Osteoarthritis can cause swelling in joints, making them feel tender and sore. Joints seem to appear crooked or bent in certain extreme cases.
3. Cracking and creaking - Joints could build crunching, creaking sounds. This creaking can also occur in an exceedingly traditional joint. However in most cases, it does not hurt and doesn't suggest that there's something wrong with the joint.4. Muscle weakness - The muscles around the joint may get weaker. This happens a lot with arthritis in the knee.
TREATMENT AT SVHRC (the first ever medicine for osteoarthritis invented)
Shreevidya Herbal Research Centre (SVHRC) has been successful in treating patients with Osteoarthritis since 2005.
A new herbal medicine has been invented by the Chief Scientist and owner of SVHRC -Shri H G Bhat. Our research has found that the herbal combination of “Orthonorm” and “Vedanshaman”is highly successful in managing Osteoarthritis. This herbal combination not only reduces pain but also treats Osteoarthritis effectively. Orthonorm and Vedanshaman selectively deposit on the abraded bone surfaces and rebuild the cartilage. The time taken for the treatment differs with age and the intensity of the disease. 90% of cases in old age have been successfully treated. The herbal combination has been successfully administered to many patients of different age groups. Even those patients, who were bedridden, have been able to recover and have become capable to resume their daily routine, business/work.
Therapeutic aspect and Treatment protocol
In early stages of the affliction, it is easy to manage OA but it takes a longer time in cases where NSAIDS and steroids have been administered. Also in some cases where hyper acidity is present, other ayurvedic medicines have to be given to manage hyper acidity. Swelling of the joints is managed by herbal poultice prescribed by the doctors of SVHRC.
1. Treatment is for minimum 6 months or more depending on the condition and age of a patient.
2. Foods that are sour and spicy are to be avoided. Also it is suggested to avoid those that are hard to digest like non-vegetarian food and refrigerated cold foods or cold drinks in any form.
3. It is found that the Body Metabolic Rate (BMR) reduces with the age. As the BMR reduces, calcium metabolism also reduces and free radicals increase in the body. To avoid this walking/exercise/ yoga is to be followed regularly.
4. Patients are advised to refrain from staying in cold/air-conditioned atmospheres to avoid increase in stiffness of joints.
Doctors at SVHRC prescribe the diet and routine to be maintained by patients undergoing Herbal Treatment for maximum benefits. It includes a list of Do’s and Don’ts to be followed by the patient.
The first patient of Osteoarthritis was Shri H. G.Bhat himself. In 2005, at the age of 66, he suffered from lumbar disk slip due to the thinning of the cartilage. The X-ray report showed that the gap between the lumbar vertebrae was increased. As a result of this, he was advised to take rest, not lift any weight and not ride his Royal Enfield motorbike. Initially, a number of combinations of herbal formulation were taken by him. And as one of the combinations started working, initial improvement was noted with the reduction of pain. Within 3 months of taking the herbal combination of Orthonorm and Vedanshaman ,he was back to normal condition without any back pain. The same medicine was continued for six months. The pain totally vanished and the disk space was also re-established .He was able to move around easily , resume his work and also pursue his passion of riding his Royal Enfield bike.
In 2016, at the age of 77, Shri H. G.Bhat suffered again from slip disk due to old age. His BMD test showed Osteopenia(a medical condition in which the protein and mineral content of bone tissue is reduced, but less severely than in osteoporosis). He was unable to sit and was bedridden. After 3 months of medication of Orthonorm and Vedanshaman he is now able to sit, move around and carry out his daily work normally. It is observed that the herbal combination does not have any side effects.
TESTIMONIALS (TRIUMPHS OF SVHRC!)
1. Ajinkya Kichambare, Badlapur, Maharashtra, India
At the age of 28, I started developing pain in both the knee joints. Standing for more than 15 minutes was not possible for me. I consulted many Allopathic doctors but none of their treatments helped me. Finally I went to Fortis hospital in Mumbai, India. They advised me for a knee joint surgery/replacement. The surgery would cost about Rs.1,73,000/- for each knee joint replacement. I was totally disturbed and depressed, knowing that in such a young age I was supposed to get an operation done.
At that time my younger brother took me to Shri H. G. Bhat and Dr. J T. Prasad of SVHRC. They did my Bone Mineral Density test(BMD Test) and the test showed that I was developing Osteopenia (a medical condition in which the protein and mineral content of bone tissue is reduced, but less severely than in osteoporosis). After clinical examination they advised me to take the herbal combination of Orthonorm and Vedanshaman invented by Shree H G Bhat. They also advised me to follow certain dietary restrictions during the medication. Within 20 days of the medication, it was evident that my knee pain had started reducing. I could stand for one and half hours at a stretch without any knee pain. I continued the medicine for 6 months as advised by the doctor. During the treatment I observed no side effects. I am now perfectly healthy, without any knee joint pain.Thanks to Shri H. G. Bhat who invented such a wonderful herbal medicine, which saved my knees and my money as well.
2. Varsha Karandikar, Dadar, Mumbai, India
I am now 59 years old. My weight is 96 kilos. I am doing the postal pigmy collection and the nature of my job is walking. Since the last 8 years, I was suffering from Arthritis in both the knee joints. And the pain was slowly and steadily increasing. My movements got restricted. Initially I was unable to climb a staircase. Later walking for long in my job also became difficult.
I consulted a number of doctors from different fields (allopathic, ayurveda, homeopathy), but unfortunately none of their medicines worked. Some doctors even suggested me to undergo knee joint surgery. Few years back, I had reached a stage where I became bedridden as I was unable to walk due to pain.
At that time I met Mr. H. G. Bhat of SVHRC. He gave me the herbal medicines “Orthonorm “and “Vedanshaman” with diet restrictions. Within about 15 days of taking the medicines, I was back on my feet and was able to perform my household work. As I was improving, I was advised to start walking. After three months, I started taking rounds at the local park outside and could cover a couple of kilometers on a daily basis. I even returned to my job. I continued the medication for 6 months. Today, I am easily able to walk 5-6 kilometers everyday and even climb staircases without any pain. I am also able to perform at the job like anyone else without any pain!
3. Mrs. Shanta Rao, Age 68, Dadar, Mumbai
I had severe knee joint pain and my movements were reduced due to the pain. There was cracking sound in my right knee joint. I consulted the doctors of SVHRC in year 2017 March. They advised me the combination of “Orthonorm” with “Vedanshaman”. In 4-5 months I have felt a relief of about 65 to 70%. I am still continuing the medicines. During the treatment I have not found any side effects.
1. B. C, Mumbai, Male, age - 55 India
He approached the doctors of SVHRC with symptoms like numbness in the fingers since 4 years. He was advised to take cervical X-ray which showed thinning of the cervical cartilage due which the brachial nerve was compressing. He was advised to take “Orthonorm” with “Vedanshaman” and follow the diet. In 4 months the numbness in the hands totally disappeared and X-ray showed the cartilage was regenerated.
2. S. K. Dombivili, Male, Age- 52, Maharashtra, India
When he approached SVHRC, he had numbness and occasional pain the fingers. X-ray showed thinning of the cartilage at cervical region. Three months treatment of “Orthonorm” with “Vedanshaman” has relieved him of the numbness and occasional pain in the hands.
3. S. G., Female, Age 37, Mumbai, India
Was suffering from knee joint Osteoarthritis since 3 years. “Orthonorm” with “Vedanshaman” helped her in coming out of the OA in 4 months. She is now leading a normal life.
4. R. G., Karjat, female, Age 45,Maharashtra, India
She was having right hip joint Osteoarthritis. When she consulted the doctors of SVHRC, her movements were restricted and she was bedridden. She was advised hip joint replacement by the doctors of Jaslok hospital.After taking “Orthonorm” with “Vedanshaman” for 8 months, she has recovered 95%.
5. R.P, Male, age 45, Mumbai, India
Had knee joint Osteoarthritis of left knee. Consulted doctors of SVHRC in June 2017. Advised to take “Orthonorm” with “Vedanshaman”. After 3 months of treatment there is a relief of about 75%. Continuing the treatment.